If memory serves, Chad was looking into the role that McCarthyism played with our foreign relations at that time. I don't know what the final verdict is, but iI do find it very intriguing. How much did people really buy into McCarthy's story? Did everyone, including those in office, listen and adjust their behavior? I think it is fascinating how much people can be swayed with an idea, even if it doesn't have ground behind it. Are there any ideas going around now that apply in the same fashion? How many of our political leaders are standing on emptiness? Its our job to know, but they don't want us to if they are. Why don't people just tell the truth?
Monday, November 3, 2008
McCarthyism
I admit, I really didn't know much about McCarthyism when group 1 announced their topic. I think that there is a very interesting connection between their topic and our topic, the internment of the Japanese Americans. In both cases, there were strong feelings against a nation with whom we were at war. In a nutshell, McCarthyism claimed that everyday people, and even some government officials, were Nazis who were trying to infiltrate the US and transform us under our very noses. It turns out these facts were largely groundless, but the force and charism that McCarthy portrayed was enough to sway the people in his favor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment