Video games. I have been playing video games for as long as I can remember. The first one I ever played was on our ancient computer. The only thing it did was make interesting patterns on the screen whenever you pushed any button on the keyboard. We always had a terrible time trying to exit it, though, because all of the keys were neutralized so that a toddler could just mash the keys and watch the screen change colors, and never exit the program. That was its entire purpose. Good times. That computer had some of best games. Nibbles, Gorillas, Tut's Tomb, Pepper's Adventures in Time, Commander Keen (1), and a couple others. Its really funny, though. That computer had an eight megabyte hard-drive. That hard drive was the size of a small book. My flash Drive holds four Gigabytes. Amazing.
It seems to me that video games have become part of our culture, yet I don't think they've been around for more than 30 years or so. I'm amazed at the speed at which the world is changing right now. I think it is the ability to communicate which makes it possible, but I'm getting off topic.
I disagree with the people who say that graphics are what gaming is all about. Granted, they do help, but the gameplay itself is what truly makes or breaks a game. Some of my favorite games have poor, or even no, graphics. Take ADOM, for example. It is a rogue-like game, and everything is text. EVERYTHING . Its free, so you can download it here if you like. It is so deep, people are always finding different tricks and nooks and crannies. The most amazing thing, though, is that one person wrote the whole game. Just for fun! I wish I could do that.

No comments:
Post a Comment