Thursday, September 18, 2008
Ishmael Beah
I have been reading A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah for my English class. Wow. What a powerful story. I watched an interview of him (click Here to view it) and was very impressed. He makes several references to instances in the book, so some of the content is just a repeat of the book, but it does provide a look at what Ishmael is really like. He seems like a person who has seen a lot of strife but doesn't show it. He talks about extremely serious matters, yet still has a bit of a smile on his face. It isn't a sick smile at all, it is a smile of true joy. In his interview he says, "Just waking up in the morning is enough for me to smile and be happy." It really makes me take a step back and wonder what it is I'm so worried about. Does it really matter? I was moved by the book, but his interview adds a whole new dimension to his story. His story is not over, but the book is complete. He still struggles with nightmares and flashbacks, yet he still finds the strength to keep going. He even talks to people about his struggles, which is a feat unto itself. If you ever get the chance, and you think you have the stomach to handle it, I would sincerely recommend this book. It is a powerful witness for us all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment