Thursday, September 25, 2008

Old Friends

I've had Simon & Garfunkel's song "Old Friends" stuck in my head for awhile, and I've started thinking about friendship.  I have gotten to know a lot of new people here at Purdue, but I can't help but wonder how many of my high school friends I will keep in touch with.  I have heard that many people who had tons of friends in high school only kept a handful when they went their separate ways for college.  Granted, a good deal of my friends are actually going to Purdue, but what about the others?  One of my best friends is going to college on the east coast.  Will the distance be enough to slow our communication to a halt?  I know that I'll probably see many of my friends from church during breaks because we'll be going to church at the same time, but I probably won't see my friends from school.  Should I go out of my way to stay in touch, or move on?

In many ways it is very sad to think that I might not see some people ever again.  It makes me wonder what my last words to them were and how they'll remember me, and for how long.  In other ways, I realize that those friendships probably weren't very strong, and that I only knew them because I was bumping into them all the time.  Maybe it's better this way.  Maybe it isn't.  

Either way, I'll still have friends because I'm constantly making new ones.  It's sort of highlighted by the song "Feelin' Groovy" right after "Old Friends" on that YouTube video.  Its one way of saying that life is going to continue whether you like it or not, so why not like it?  Look on the bright side, the glass is half full, you know.  Always making new friends gives you a chance to learn about new people, experience new things, and keeps life interesting.  

1 comment:

Taylor Willett said...

I miss my friends from high school. A lot of the time, I wonder, too, how many of them will still be talking to in 20 years? I only had a handful of friends in high school, though, and nothing compares to the friends I have made here. I believe that college friends will probably be in touch more than high school friends, unless they are one and the same. I hope your friendships last. :)