Thursday, October 23, 2008
High School History Books
I recently looked up the Japanese American internment in five different books, and all of them mentioned it to some degree. Several of them had about a page of material covering the internment, and most had pictures. Only one, however, mentioned the non-internment of the Japanese Americans in Hawaii. I thought that they usually gave a good overview of the Japanese-American internment. Different books took different aspects of it and focused on them, which I thought was very interesting. Even though they were all taking the same time in history, different books chose to look at different angles, and to highlight different aspects within the limited space available. All of them put little to no blame on President Roosevelt, while some people believe that he was largely responsible for it. The only things that I would change if I were writing these passages would be to say that President Roosevelt just "Gave the order to..." instead of "Based on strong recommendations from the Military..." or "President Roosevelt eventually responded to the growing hysteria." Why can't the truth be more clear? Why does everyone have to put a spin on what they say and write? I wish I knew.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment