Monday, November 10, 2008

NoSHAVEember

I'm sure some of you noticed I've been a little "scruffy-looking" lately.  I decided to participate in No-Shave-November, aka NoSHAVEember.  I heard about it through my roommate when I didn't shave for a few days near the end of October.  I immediately became an advocate.  
I've heard of a couple different origins of the month.  Originally my roommate told me it was a way of remembering the Pilgrims during this Thanksgiving time.  Thats cool.  I also looked it up on wikipedia, and apparently Australia calls it Movember, like "Mustache" and "November" put together.  As the name implies, they only grow out their mustaches, not full beards.  It raises awareness of Men's health and the like.  Some cool trivia.  
Then I got to looking at beard stuff, and someone (I don't remember who) showed me the world-record holding beard growers on this website.  Wow, that is a lot of beard.  I know I wouldn't be able to grow that much beard, or take care of it.  Thats just crazy, and crazy awesome at the same time.  
I really don't know how my family will react when they see me at Thanksgiving.  They know I'm doing it, but it will still certainly be an interesting encounter....

6 comments:

Tori said...

That's really cool! I haven't noticed, I'm going to have to pay better attention in class tomorrow! I never have heard of Noshavember before, so I learned something new! thanks, and it's neat that you're actually going through with it. I think it would be hilarious to see your family's reaction to your beard at thanksgiving.

caryn said...

haha o my god! those pictures are crazy! good luck with your beard too! i havent really been payiing attention but i will definitely be noticing in class now. haha

Sarah said...

That is so funny, unfortunatly I cannot participate in NoSHAVEember! I will definently have to check out the scruff in class today! Good luck with the famliy on thanksgiving, Do you think they will laugh or freak out?

SomeCallMeTim said...

They'll probably laugh. My sisters didn't like it when I didn't shave, but I think now that its fairly grown out they won't mind as much. I've also talked to my family on the phone about it a couple times, and they have been pretty open to it, but my extended family doesn't know, so Thanksgiving will definitely be fun. ;)

Luke Leger said...

Tim. You have inspired me. I grew a full beard a few years ago and Valerie asked me to shave it as her Valentine's Day present. What was I to do? So, I shaved it and she hasn't let me grow it back since. But now that it is a nationally recognized November event, how can she say no? I can't wait to see you.

Sarah said...

I love no shave november!! It's the next best thing besides Thanksgiving in November. :]