Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Brothels?!? Thats Terrible!

When I saw the movie "Born into Brothels" I wasn't entirely certain of the definition of the word "Brothel."  I assumed it was just a type of slum, a dilapidated part of town or something.  Then I looked it up.  Yeah, it was worse than I thought.  

I was really saddened by the conditions that the children were forced to live in.  I remember the scene where the little girl is washing the pot with dirty water.  She didn't even have a sponge or cloth to wash with.  It looked like some sort of crumpled scrap of aluminum.  There were several scenes where the kids were being chewed out by their elders; swear words and every other kind of humiliation was present.  On the flip side, the kids were remarkably happy.  After being chewed out, they just brushed it off like it was nothing.  They always had smiles on their faces.  

I think that it was an admirable effort to find a way for these children to get out of the red light district.  It was ultimately up to the children and their parents if they actually went through with it, but it gave them a chance to make a better life.  Making a movie about it does raise awareness of what goes on, but it also exposes the lives of these children to the entire world.  I don't think it is an extremely widely watched movie, but it has still been seen by millions of people.  The children probably didn't have an understanding of what kind of scale they were agreeing to, but the parents might have.  Making a movie like that takes away most of those children's privacy, but they had little to begin with, and it allows the entire world to know how bad it can be.  Hopefully enough awareness will be raised that changes can be made and people no longer need to lead that kind of lifestyle to survive.  

No comments: