Monday, December 1, 2008

A W;tty Encounter

     When I heard that Margaret Edson was coming to Purdue, I was amazed.  I don't know why, but I've always thought that authors are very rarely seen.  They just sit in some strange corner of the universe and write, and write, and write.  When I learned that she is actually a teacher, and that this is her only work, I was dumbfounded!  How could this brilliant person come out of nowhere, write this awesome play, and then teach little children...  I guess teaching small children takes more brainpower than I thought.  

     When I first saw her, I thought she looked like the picture of a schoolteacher.  I am reminded of Miss Minchin from A little Princess, though Edson is much nicer than she was.  Another thing that intrigued me about her was her outlook on the characters.  She, the author, used everything in the play to pull and sway Vivian, the protagonist in W;t .  It was almost as if Vivian was a living person who had to be lead by Edson acting as "God" in this situation.  I was amazed with the depth and clarity with which the play was brought to life, while this is her only work.  

Amazing...

     I suppose the only question I would ask is what influenced her to write with that perspective.  Did it just come naturally?  Was it almost like leading one of her brilliant but relatively stubborn students?  Was there a specific person who she wanted to get through to, so she let it out on paper?  Whatever the motivation, I think it is very cool.

No comments: